SUMMARY OF OPPORTUNITY
New Music USA seeks a President & CEO of vision to lead the organization to its next level of achievement. Maintaining the status quo is not enough. Forever informed by a spirit of boundless possibility, New Music USA asks the question “What’s next?"
The President & CEO will look continuously toward the future while embracing the tactical realities necessary to bring that future into being. The President & CEO will be a strategist who leads from a place of collaboration, always wanting to pursue the right idea regardless of where it comes from. The President & CEO will explore new ideas and break down barriers, real and perceived, to advancing New Music USA’s mission and impact.
BACKGROUND AND LEADERSHIP
The mission of New Music USA is to support and promote new music created in the United States. That spirit is potently intentional in all of New Music USA’s programming and allows the organization to fulfill its mission in many ways--by fostering connections among new music community members, deepening knowledge for practitioners and appreciators, encouraging appreciation of the wide range of new music, and providing financial support to advance the realization of new work.
New Music USA expresses the following values in all its operations and activities:
- We believe in the fundamental importance of creative artists and their work.
- We espouse a broad, inclusive understanding of the term “new music.”
- We uphold and embrace principles of inclusivity and equitable treatment in all of our activity and across our nation’s broadly diverse population in terms of gender, race, age, location, national origin, sexual orientation, religion, socio-economic status, and artistic practice.
In recognition of the possibility and power inherent in the virtual world, New Music USA has built a strong and engaging internet platform to serve its constituency that operates as a portal into the expansive idea of what new music means to creators and enthusiasts. A highlight of that web presence is NewMusicBox, a forum for artists’ ideas, conversations, and richly informed news and commentary on trends and activities in the new music field that encourages and allows artists to always speak in their own voice.
Accessibility has been a key driver for New Music USA to build an ever-connected community of individuals drawn together because of a shared love of music and its potential. New Music USA’s constituency is broad and diverse, from composers and performers to presenters and producers, casual listeners to die-hard fans. The organization is truly and authentically committed to serving the WHOLE new music community.
New Music USA believes that to define new music is to limit it in a way that is out of step with the dynamic creativity of musical artists today. New Music USA constantly works to be at the forefront of championing the concept of music’s ever-evolving character, nuance, and impact. The organization promotes the idea that this is a spectacular time for musical creativity because so much music is being made that isn’t bound by conventional limitations of style or genre or background.
New Music USA was created in 2011 out of the merger of the American Music Center and Meet The Composer, two highly respected organizations with a long commitment to promoting the musical arts. Along with the benefit of the legacy of these two organizations came a modest financial endowment that today primarily helps support New Music USA’s grantmaking to artists and organizations. With an annual budget of just over $2 Million (two-thirds of which is raised annually from individuals, foundations, and government sources) and a base of operations in New York City, New Music USA’s 16-person Board of Trustees and a talented staff of 12 works with shared commitment to celebrate new music with a reach extending throughout the nation.
CURRENT ENVIRONMENT AND THE FUTURE
Ed Harsh is New Music USA’s outgoing President & CEO and successfully led the organization through its 2011 merger, having previously served in the leadership role at Meet The Composer. Mr. Harsh is leaving the organization to embark on a long-envisioned book project at a time of great stability and vitality for New Music USA. His stellar leadership of the organization has been characterized by an openness to ideas and an obvious and deep dedication to the pursuit of serving the nation’s new music community. He fostered a collaborative spirit within New Music USA’s staff, board, and constituency coming at the top leadership position from a place of informed knowledge of the field as a composer, scholar, and administrator.
Some areas of focus emerge during this transition moment that will likely inform and shape the next President & CEO’s approach to guiding the organization into the future and raising its profile which include:
- Working tirelessly to promote inclusivity for a diverse group of artists, enthusiasts, and leaders, with a strong focus on developing Board leadership that more fundamentally reflects the world we live in today with greater ethnic, gender, and socio-economic diversity.
- Increasing New Music USA’s base of support and operational resources through increased fund development
- Generating non-traditional entrepreneurial ideas that also focus on enhancing New Music USA’s resources.
- Being at the forefront of using technology to serve, connect, and empower the new music community while actively exploring new means of being on top of realizing how a strategically chosen virtual presence can energize and engage constituents in positive and life affirming ways.
- Finding ways to make New Music USA’s impact felt more deeply as an active part of new music communities large and small throughout the nation.
- Forever advocating for the broadest definition of what new music means by openly showing a genuine capacity for welcoming all new and emerging voices and ideas.
- Seeking out useful partnerships and alliances within the music community, but also in the corporate, philanthropic, commercial, and academic worlds.
POSITION DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The President & CEO will lead from a place of passion and inspiration, forever challenging assumptions, advancing a dialogue, and developing new means of connecting to and with a dedicated constituency by asserting that New Music USA will always be at the forefront of innovation and dynamic engagement. A real and deeply felt love of music and the music community will be a defining part of the President & CEO’s personality. The President & CEO will guide the organization into the future, expanding its base of resources and supporting and inspiring current staff and any possible new talent joining the organization. Serving as a recognized and connected leader in the music world-at-large with a focus on service to the field will be a hallmark of the President & CEO’s track-record and style of leadership. As a strong manager who can celebrate successes with all participants in a process and not be deterred by challenge, the President & CEO’s essential responsibilities will include:
- Setting, fostering, and guiding the vision of New Music USA with a deep appreciation of where New Music USA has been and an expansive idea of where the organization can go.
- Developing budgets and leading operations planning for all New Music USA activities.
- Advancing New Music USA’s impact through its virtual presence.
- Finding new ways to connect, engage, and empower the new music community throughout the United States through advocacy and local engagement.
- Leading a tightly connected staff with support, mentorship, and a collaborative sense of purpose.
- Finding new resources for New Music USA to increase support for artists and the new music community through an expanding project grants initiative.
- Seeking strategic partnerships that help to raise New Music USA’s profile and brand identity.
- Through oversight and guidance, enriching the content and scope of NewMusicBox.
- Evaluating and making any necessary changes to internal policies, procedures, and controls.
- Keeping ideas and actions at the forefront of all New Music USA top leadership discussions by inspiring New Music USA’s Board of Trustees to think about the organization in increasingly progressive ways.
- Acting as a guiding leader dedicated to raising the organization's profile who, by example, empowers the staff and board as spokespeople and public ambassadors for New Music USA's programs and activities.
- Serving as signatory in legally binding contracts and financial matters of the organization.
- Helping to ignite increased Board development.
Ideally, the successful candidate will possess these skills and experience:
- Senior management experience with a track record of progressive responsibility in an environment of creativity and innovation.
- Demonstrated ability to raise funds with an understanding of traditional fundraising and an interest in creative approaches to resource development.
- Ability to solve problems in a calm and tactful manner.
- Knowledge of and passion for the new music field.
- Financial acumen and an ability to accurately report New Music USA’s fiscal position in meaningful ways.
- Demonstrated skills in budgeting and administration of budgets.
- Great writing and communication skills.
- An entrepreneurial mind that understands how to evaluate and measure risk and reward in any potential moment for expansion and growth.
- A collaborative nature, securely able to successfully coalesce multiple strong personalities and opinions.
- A fundamentally strategic thinker with strong attention to detail.
- Experience in the not-for-profit arts sector preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree or relevant experience is required.
SPECIAL ATTRIBUTES AND QUALITIES
The following personal attributes are also desirable:
- Integrity and honor as a guiding force for life and work.
- An open heart and mind.
- Humility and a sense of humor.
- A ferocious love of learning and exploration of new ideas.
- A great work ethic that values balance for a rewarding life alongside the rigors of work.
COMPENSATION AND START DATE
Salary and benefits will be competitive with other companies of comparable stature and size. New Music USA hopes to make its decision by fall of 2018 with the chosen candidate taking on the position soon after.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested and qualified candidates should submit a résumé, cover letter (no more than 1 ½ pages), salary expectation, and three professional references electronically to Management Consultants for the Arts, the firm engaged to lead this important search:
Management Consultants for the Arts, Inc.
By email: MGTCONARTS@gmail.com
Attn: Jonathan West
Subject line: New Music USA, President & CEO Search
New Music USA is an equal opportunity employer enthusiastically seeking to diversify its staff. They strongly encourage applications from women and people of color.